Hi, Welcome to my Ultimate guide to affiliate marketing for beginners. In this full course, you will get to understand the same process I use to grow my affiliate income. This is for those just starting out with affiliate marketing and even those who just need a guide as they tow along this path.
I have decided to help a lot of people looking to take this challenge and go into this journey but know that It is not an easy one but will always be worth it if you are always ready to take the necessary actions needed for you to achieve success in affiliate marketing
Why did I say it is the MOST COMPREHENSIVE guide to affiliate marketing for beginners?
My aim is that after reading this guide you would have the full knowledge to start your own affiliate marketing business that will start earning you some cash right from the moment you reach the last full stop.
A few years back, I started as a mere digital marketer, wandering from niche to niche finding where I could make the quickest cash as soon as possible.
It wasn’t an easy task as all I needed was just how to make extra income to succeed and this might be the same for you reading this.
It wasn’t long before I realized that I was busy beating around the bush and wasn’t making enough even in the digital spaces where I see others showing millions of dollars on their Paypal account.
At a point, I was like the guy.
I quit my 9-5 and decided to stay and focus on one line that would make me a consistent income online. After thinking and doing some research, I finally stopped for affiliate marketing. After considering dropshipping and even freelancing.
If you are reading this you either from Nigeria or the U.S or any part of the world, then you might be like me and my first advice is to take a pause at everything you are doing and just follow along with this. This can make you more money than you can ever imagine.
Ready to roll with me?
Sit tight and let’s get started with this guide to affiliate marketing for beginners.
What is Affiliate Marketing And How Does It Work?
This will be the first question that will storm your mind after reading to this point.
Affiliate marketing is basically the process of earning a commission(in cash) by promoting other people’s (or company’s) products.
This process is quite easier because you just need to find a product you like, promote it to others, and earn a cut of profit for each sale that you make.
Sounds quite easy right?
Here is another definition of affiliate marketing I picked from smartblogger website:
Affiliate marketing is the practice of promoting the products or services of another person or company in exchange for a commission on the resulting sale. Affiliate marketers join affiliate programs, find reputable affiliate products to promote, and then share those products with their audiences.
Affiliate marketing is really the easiest way to offer products and services without having to go over the stress and hustle of creating your own products and services.
Now let’s divide this into its quick steps:
- Find a product or service that you like,
- Promote it to your readers, and
- Earn part of the profit on each sale that you make.
Before sharing with you how affiliate marketing works, I’d like you to know that it involves 3 different parties, which are:
- The product creator: This is the person or the body that owns or manages the product. Sometimes you are getting your product directly from the creator of the product and other times you get them from the retailer or vendor. They have the product to sell
- The Affiliate: Now this would be YOU. An affiliate is someone who promotes one or multiple affiliate products and tries to attract traffic and convince potential customers of the value of the merchant’s product so that they actually end up buying it.
- The Consumer: This is the final person who then buys the product. The customer or consumer makes the affiliate system go ’round.
How does affiliate marketing work?
Affiliate marketing might sometimes sound technical, but not even close to. All you need to get started is safely handling a piece of code shared with you.
See the flow here:
- You join the affiliate program, then you are given a unique ID and a specific URL to use when promoting the product. This link might look a little rough like this one I am using to promote a click funnel offer.
Kind long and your audience might not want to use that link, so what you can do is to shorten the link using bitly shortener or if you are using WordPress, you can install pretty links plugin which will shorten your link with your domain name
- You should start finding the best ways to get traffic to buy the product via your link. Blog content, youtube, Facebook groups and/or via their email marketing efforts and invites readers to click it to find out more.
- When a potential buyer clicks on the link to visit the affiliate partners’ site, a cookie identifying the affiliate is placed on their computer. The cookie ensures that the publisher is credited with the referral sale even if it occurs days or even weeks later.
- Whenever a buyer completes the sale process, the product owner checks the sales record for a cookie identifying the source of the referral, If the product owner finds a cookie with your affiliate ID, you are credited with the sale.
There are various ways you make money as an affiliate marketer as different programs have different payment terms such as:
- Pay per Sale: In this form of affiliate marketing, the product owner pays you a percentage of the sale price when the purchase is completed. A quick example is groovefunnels affiliate program
- Pay per Click: Here, you get paid based on the number of visitors you redirect to the products owner website from your affiliate site, whether or not a sale is made.
- Pay per Lead: You get paid once the referred visitors provide their contact information on the target site by filling out a simple contact form. These are also known as CPA (Cost Per Action) and a very good example is MAXBOUNTY.
What are the benefits or advantages of affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing to me is by far one of the best available marketing methods available today because it provides incentives for both the affiliate and the merchant. Let’s go through some of it benefits.
- Low Startup cost: With affiliate marketing, all you need to do is have your website up and secure yourself an affiliate solution; no other costs are incurred before your ads start paying off.
- Earn Quickly: Making money via affiliate marketing is not an easy ride but with dedication and doing your work, you can earn quicker than most other forms of online businesses out there.
- Easily Scalable: It is quite easy to scale an affiliate marketing business. Most successful affiliate marketers don’t find it hard to scale their businesses into the white label, dropshipping or wholesale operations.
- Various sources of monetization: This is the beauty of affiliate marketing, you have so many sources of monetization, different offers, and various medium to earn from, this, in turn, might also become a disadvantage if one doesn’t focus on few products
How Does Affiliate Marketing Make You Money?
This is the part we want to hear and I’d make it very simple and straight without mincing words here. As a beginner focusing on one or two products, you may start out making a few dollars per month with affiliate marketing while you learn the ropes.
Once you have successfully signed up for an affiliate program and you get your links, the next is to use these links in the appropriate places where your audience will see it. A very good place for this is your blog.
Here is an article that shows you how to set up a successful blog for affiliate marketing.
While doing this, you also learn what products and services your audience is most interested in and how best you can continue providing value, you can make some changes over time and allow yourself to earn more. This is what will help you scale.
How Much Can You Make As An Affiliate Marketer?
Take this as the most real truth, every affiliate marketer earns differently but then there is no limit to how much you can make. It’s sometimes seen as a game of numbers, how many people can you get to sign up using your link?
To get a good number you should create a medium for traffic and also share enough value so it is easy to get people in through you. Your strategy is a very significant part of your results, but even the best strategy in the world isn’t always predictable.
You can start out from $1 to $1k per week depending on how much time, value, and meaningful conversations you put into working. You are in control of how much you can earn.
I started out for months with nothing via affiliate marketing but then it also involves what you know and how you know to do it. This course was really helpful to me when starting out. Now I have done 6 figures in affiliate marketing (Scaling to 7figures yuppy!!)
How Do I Start Affiliate Marketing? [Step by Step]
There are things you need to keep in check in order to be successful with affiliate marketing, even though these are not like laws set on stones but I will walk you through the step by step process to get you on your feet today.
1, Pick A Niche
You need to drive down to choosing a niche when starting affiliate marketing. This will give focus to a line of business and help you with the type of content to serve your audience best. It’ll also make it easier to create targeted marketing campaigns.
Choosing a niche can be the hardest part of starting their own business for some people, but it doesn’t have to be that way. To choose your niche, it just takes asking a few questions:
- What am I passionate about?
- Is this topic big enough?
- Is the niche oversaturated?
- Is there money in this niche?
2, Build a Website
Once you’ve found a profitable niche that you’re excited about, you’re ready to build a website and blog for your business.
When building a blog for affiliate marketing you need to consider:
- Choosing a domain and hosting – There are several companies that offer these services but I will always recommend Bluehost because of its reliability and services to numerous people over the years. Also, they offer 99.9% uptime and 1click wp install. See my tutorial on setting up your website in the video below. Not a fan of Bluehost? I’d also recommend Dreamhost and Namecheap.
- Choose your theme – There are various themes to use for your design but I recommend you use Astra theme using Elementor as your page builder or divi.
- Set up your page – From your blog page, about, contact and other necessary pages. Do not forget to add a terms page.
3, Create Quality Content
Your content is the next important thing in your journey as an affiliate marketer. You need to create valuable content that your reader will appreciate.
Some affiliate networks and affiliate programs will require that you to already have written content, site traffic, and monthly views to a certain number before accepting you as an affiliate, always be sure to read the eligibility requirements for whichever programs you’re considering,
This doesn’t mean that you have to create 1000 blog posts before you can even think about becoming an affiliate marketer, but you should have at least 10 strong posts on your website is good to go for you.
Start by doing your keyword research to find a less competitive keyword you can rank for. I personally use Semrush for all of my keyword research and SEO needs.
4, Grow Your Email List
Email list! Email list!! Email list!!!
The biggest mistake beginners do is thinking email is dead and not growing their email list from day one.
Yes, email is still a very vital means of communication and, it still carries a completely wild $38 return for every $1 spent.
Huge right? But very true.
However, choosing an email marketing software can make or mar your marketing. I recommend you start with getresponse because of their automation flow and builders, you can also use mailchimp for a start too.
There are various ways to get people to come into your email list but the best way to use a lead magnet, this way you are exchanging value for their email address.
Make sure that whatever lead magnet you are using is something in line with the product or offer you might be sending to that audience later.
5, Choose Affiliate Products to Promote
You can’t start affiliate marketing, without an affiliate product to promote. Start by finding products related to your niche and relate to your content. You can start with affiliate networks like clickbank or JVzoo you can find different products for you to promote on their websites.
You can as well go for affiliate programs from various companies you have interest in. Quickly do a search for “COMPANY + AFFILIATE PROGRAM ” on Google and you’d be directed on how to get started. Currently, I am promoting groovefunnels ( a tool you can use to build funnels for your business), read my review of groovefunnels. You can also join their platform as an affiliate.
6, Start promoting & Track results
At this point, you are ready to fly with wings, there is nothing keeping you, all you need do is t figure out various methods you can generate traffic for your offers and you are good to go. Do make sure you track your results, this is the only way you can measure how good you are doing and how well you are giving value.
One of the tools you can use for this is Prettylinks. You can use this to cloak your affiliate links and make them more appealing also track the statistics of those links.
How To Be An Affiliate Marketer
First, you need to sign up for affiliate marketing programs. Choose between branded affiliate programs like affiliate marketing with Amazon Associates, one of the most popular affiliate programs to join. Amazon Associates is an example of a branded affiliate program. In other words, you can look up your favorite companies and brands and sign up for their affiliate program to promote products and services they sell.
Join An Affiliate Marketing Network. An affiliate marketing network, like ClickBank and Share-A-Sale, works as a middle man between advertisers and publishers. Advertisers sign up for the platform to find publishers who can promote their products. Publishers sign up to join programs and get links to promote.
As a publisher, you can apply for several programs and you’ll often find your favorite brands in one place. These networks usually have helpful tools that allow you to track your clicks, commissions, and more.
You can contact your favorite brands directly. You might be able to set up a contract with the brand that outlines your commissions for promoting its products and services.
How long does it take to make money with affiliate marketing?
We all want to know. Noobs in internet marketing business at times get started with the notion that they can make money online as fast as possible and this is why they are always frustrated and run out calling it a scam.
But, how fast can you make money with affiliate marketing?
Truth be told it takes a substantial amount of time to get along and start earning decent cash with affiliate marketing. Some from DAY 1 to a month to a year or 2 depending on the time you give in. You need to work and be consistent with creating value for people.
You need to start with learning how it can work best for you and then how to attract traffic and you build to momentum to carry.
Affiliate marketing can really offer you the chance to:
- Have Free time
- Be your own boss
- You get to make money while you sleep
- and so forth.
Think about your gains and put in the work. My honest advice is to be patient, choose products you are keen on, use several traffic sources, and test! test!! test!!! (If I can do it you can do it)
Here is a quick video on affiliate marketing
How do I Receive Affiliate Payment?
There are various methods in which you get paid as an affiliate and this is depending on the network or the program. You have to read the terms so you would know which fits your country and which mode of payment you will prefer.
The various methods are via:
- Bank transfer
- Paypal (most used)
For PayPal, all you need is to input your PayPal email address and wait to receive your payments once you reach the threshold. If you are in Nigeria like me, you would realize that you can’t receive payment via Paypal, there is a quick solution to this and I have shared here in this article.
What are the highest paying affiliate programs?
If this is what you seek then I’d be glad to let you know that the highest paying affiliate programs are of course going to be expensive products. Many of the programs also have recurring payments. (meaning that they pay you as far as your audience is still using and renewing their service too)
Affiliate program: Groovefunnels
Commission amount: 40% recurring
Affiliate program: Clickfunnels
Commission amount: $40% recurring
Affiliate program: Hubspot
Commission amount: Up to $1000 for each product purchased
Affiliate program: Shopify
Commission amount: $58 – $2,000
These are few amongst many others.
Success in affiliate marketing might not be an easy journey but following a few steps can make it easier for you.
- Get a mentor who you can model his success
- Join a community you can learn and grow with
- FOCUS, try to limit yourself with a few products and max out sales on them before adding more and more products to your side.
- DO the work. Stop overthinking it #justgetstarted
I hope this guide to affiliate marketing was comprehensive enough? Please drop a comment and also your questions too. I’d happily take them. Make sure to share this.